October 12, 2010

Catnip Socks are Stalking Me

So today I pulled out the yarn for my next project, and realized I will probably work through the knitpicks sock box called Fancy Feet Anklets first before moving on to another project.  Mainly because the socks look so cute in the pattern book and I can't wait to knit them up. The only thing is I'm not a huge fan of anklets so I'll probably try and add cuffs to them because otherwise I won't wear them.

Today I managed to knit the Catnip Socks up to the cuffs and I will be finishing one either tonight or tomorrow, and the second one will definitely be cast on tomorrow.  I forgot to mention the yarn I am using, which is Regia Hand-Dye Effect in case you were curious.  Pictures will be taken when the project is completed.

To be honest, I really enjoy the Catnip Socks pattern and would not hesitate to recommended them for intermediate knitters.  It's kind of easy, but requires chart reading, and knowing SSK, K2TOG, YO and how to pass stitches over other stitches.  I think the result, while not typical "lace" is very pretty and look like little diamonds.

I'm not a huge fan of the yarn I'm using, due to this black thread around the yarn.  This black thread is unattractive looking while knitting it up, and while it is not noticeable looking in the finished product, it makes the knitting harder than it should be due to the fact that the black thread has a tendency to catch on the needle.  I wish it wasn't there, and instead it was just pure looking instead of having this black coil wrapped around it.  Knitted up, the item feels the same as it did in the skein, which is wonderful because I was worried the characteristics of the thread would give it a harsh feeling. 

Otherwise, the color changes are soft and subtle, and very enjoyable, which is why I chose this yarn.  It's the green colourway and I'm pleased with how it looks.  I paid 14.00 for the skein which is not bad for sock yarn, and the yardage is very generous so I'm not worried about having enough for both my socks.  If it wasn't for that black thread, I would love to recommend this yarn, but I'd say to give it a touch and feel at the store, otherwise pass.

Current Project: Catnip Socks out of Regia Hand-Dye Effect
Next Project:  Fancy Feet Anklets Kit (Peapod) out of Knit Picks Comfy Fingering

No comments:

Post a Comment